We have discussed the Scrum framework in software development in various of our blogs and in our wiki. The conclusion has always been: it is not an easy task to establish agile methods, however, Scrum is always worth it. In this series of articles, we have collected 99 reasons, why customers, coworkers, and service provider equally benefit from Scrum. First, let's take a look at the benefits for the customer:
Why customers benefit from Scrum Projects
- Complex projects require modern, flexible methods. Scrum allows for quick response time, waterfall projects don't.
- 82% of all waterfall projects have to deal with massive problems concerning quality, costs or time or may even fail.
- Waterfall projects = compromise of time, costs, and quality. Scrum = compromise of time, costs, and functionality.
- Scrum avoids exploding money or time budgets.
- Studies have shown: Scrum projects run with less risk, more productivity, and lower rates of failure than waterfall projects.
- After each Sprint in a Scrum project, the customer receives a fully functional product increment.
- Scrum allows for an early marketable software and thus early profits with the product.
- With Scrum the product continues to improve while already generating turnover.
- Thanks to Scrum, changed requirements can easily be integrated into the project.
- Scrum only realizes software functions with business value, and not ones that were anticipated but have become obsolete.
- In the scrum project, the budget will always be on the important to do's, and only afterwards on nice to have functions.
- The realization of functions strictly follows priorities of the customer.
- Changes in the customer's priorities are reflected in the Scrum project.
- Scrum allows to react to change requirements within the following sprint, and thus very short term.
- Clients are deeply involved into the development process and can detect wrong developments early on.
- Lead times with Scrum projects are often shorter than classical approaches.
- Scrum projects stand for highest product quality, that is non negotiable.
- Scrum projects can be passed to other providers in any stage: less lock-in effect.
- As soon as the most important functions are realized, the customer can leave the Scrum project at any time.
- Scrum projects can be paused, i.e. in order to get a new budget. In the meantime, the product is live and creates turnover.
- Scrum developed software is easier to maintain and expand than classically developed products.
- Studies have shown, that Scrum leads to more efficiency and transparency in projects.
- Scrum projects offer a constantly visible control of results for continuous improvement.
- QA measurements are a permanent part of realizing requirements in Scrum - no questions asked.
- The customer always controls the progress of the Scrum project and expected costs.
- Scrum projects are expense projects. Only what's done is paid for.
- There is no full charge for a quick and dirty product in Scrum projects.
- Scrum means, the work load of the customer is better distributed. He does not need to specify all functions in the beginning.
- Scrum forces nobody to plan exactly what will be realized in months to come.
- If customer requirements change, Scrum can adjust. The customer receives the product with the highest usability.
- The Product Owner in the Scrum process is the customer's lawyer and assures maximum customer benefits.
- Clearly defined acceptance criteria for features have to be met in Scrum, otherwise the Product Owner will not accept the function.
- In Scrum projects, customer and service provider don't work against each other, but work on a common goal.
In Scrum projects there are only winners: the customer, the service provider, the staff and the product.
Would you add other arguments? Are you missing arguments? Let us know in a commentary or via twitter @seibertmedia. We are looking forward to your input.
Introduce Agile? We are your partner!
You have questions about Scrum? Would you like to introduce agile in your enterprise? Are you planning a software project and would like to use agile processes? //SEIBERT/MEDIA is an experienced provider for Scrum. We are happy to help you establish agile principles and processes - simply contact us with the form below.
Diesen Beitrag auf Deutsch lesen.
Budget planning in Scrum projects and possible reactions to cost explosions
The advantages of pair programming
Reasons why you as customer should test your new software intensively and at an early stage