When we implemented Atlassian’s HipChat internally, I saw it like a quantum leap, and many of my colleagues probably did as well! Yes, readers interested in physics will probably want to make me aware, that a quantum leap is something very, very small. That its resulting consequences are not even remotely noticed in our macroscopic world.
I chose this term because we transitioned to a new state very, very quickly: emails practically died and got buried overnight, overnight our internal digital communication got a lot more transparent, more efficient and leaner.
Sounds promising? Then read on! 😀 We have collected 99 reasons, that speak for the implementation of HipChat in your team and in your organization – all very compact and nearly all within the length of a tweet of 140 characters.
99 reasons for HipChat in corporations
- Group chat is an unstoppable trend. HipChat is the strongest solution in this area.
- HipChat is optimized for use in organizations and is not a misused B2C tool.
- Many chat tools for end-users are also used in corporate contexts. HipChat focuses fully on team requirements.
- All HipChat features are developed to enable better collaboration and efficiency.
- HipChat is user friendly and easy to use.
- Entry barriers for HipChat are as small as small can possibly be.
- HipChat is a wonder weapon in the fight against internal emails.
- Chat rooms in HipChat are modern, efficient alternatives to decentralized email discussions, which no one can keep up with.
- HipChat avoids annoying emails ‘to all’, which aren’t relevant for most recipients.
- Its not just only distributed teams that can work effectively and efficiently with HipChat.
- HipChat works like a client, web-interface or application with impressive interfaces. All data is automatically synchronized.
- HipChat offers open and closed chat rooms, as well as 1:1 chats.
- Chat rooms in HipChat are there to appropriately separate teams, topics and projects.
- No technical knowledge is needed to create, delete or rename HipChat rooms.
- A chat room in HipChat has no cap for participants, who are there to discuss, share documents and diagrams, etc.
- Continuous chat rooms in HipChat allow you to retrace discussions at any time.
- The chat history in HipChat is completely searchable: Previous conversations are also permanently stored.
- In HipChat, unused rooms can be archived with just one click.
- Every HipChat user has a status-icon, indicating their current online availability.
- HipChat allows audio calls with other users, with just one click.
- HipChat makes high-resolution video calls with other users possible.
- No tool- and context-change is needed for 1:1 video calls; one click in HipChat starts the video function.
- With HipChat, users can share their screen with other users in a video call with just one click (desktop sharing).
- As an alternative to the mouse, there are efficient keyboard shortcuts for the most important functions.
- HipChat offers simple slash commands for various actions, so that your hands never have to leave the keyboard.
- There is a slash command to correct typing errors in your last post.
- HipChat announces new messages in an opened chat room with visual messages and sounds.
- Notifications can be configured separately for each room in HipChat. Individual noise levels are controllable.
- In HipChat, themes, brightness and text density can be changed according to personal preference.
- Users have various options to set the display according to their own wishes (Avatar, display of user name, …)
- To include other users in a discussion, they can be addressed directly with @ mentions.
- HipChat automatically suggests all users that are active in a room, when the @ sign is typed in.
- If a user is mentioned in any room, HipChat automatically informs them and invites the user to the room, even if they have never entered it before.
- In HipChat you will never miss a mention. If you are offline, you receive an email notification.
- Unread messages are marked with another colour.
- You can use one HipChat client for more accounts.
- HipChat has a lot of original and funny emoticons. Who says digital exchanges can’t be fun?
- HipChat allows the input of your own emoticons. An emoticon can be created in a minute.
- Emoticons in HipChat add to user enjoyment and can lead to stronger employee utilization.
- There are various bots for HipChat that are fun, but that also make valuable contributions, such as the Standup Bot.
- HipChat supports the popular GIF animations. Users can also deactivate their display in the settings.
- HipChat supports the sharing of screenshots: You can take a screenshot and drag it directly into the text field; it does not need to be saved locally.
- In HipChat, locally stored pictures and files can be shared with the team: drag & drop to the chat window, done.
- Pictures are shown as a clickable preview in HipChat rooms. Advantage: Files are shown in the context of a chat-conversation.
- In HipChat, shared documents are part of the chat history and traceable with the search function.
- HipChat allows the integration of other services. This way, notifications from third party systems can be shown in HipChat rooms and discussed directly, where applicable.
- There are hundreds of useful integrations for HipChat, from Asana to Zendesk. And more are added every day.
- The integration of third-party tools into HipChat is smooth and avoids the constant switching of tabs and applications.
- Notifications from blogs and social media can easily be integrated into HipChat rooms (RSS, Facebook, Twitter, …).
- HipChat loves multimedia, and supports YouTube and other video services.
- HipChat is not tacked on to Atlassian products as an afterthought, it is deeply integrated.
- HipChat integrates notifications from Bitbucket, Bamboo, Jenkins, GitHub and many other developer tools.
- The linkage is so deep, that there is a HipChat panel in JIRA for each event that creates context.
- Development teams can make their entire pipeline visible in HipChat rooms and stay up-to-date at all times.
- Teams can automatically broadcast messages from specific Confluence spaces in HipChat rooms.
- HipChat can assist support teams with all the little tasks, for which tickets and workflows are unnecessary.
- HipChat can help in turning DevOps into efficient ChatOps.
- Due to the deep linkage between JIRA Service Desk and HipChat, efficiency and transparency in support teams increases.
- HipChat has an effective REST API interface for developers.
- You can integrate your own legacy systems into HipChat.
- Mobile HipChat apps for iOS and Android are sleek, modern and efficient.
- Establishing a connection with HipChat is fast, messages are displayed quickly, and scrolling works perfectly.
- HipChat user- and room-lists update instantaneously.
- When opening the HipChat app, priority can be given to either a current room or 1:1 chats for even faster access (VIP status).
- Users of the HipChat mobile app can receive push notifications of @ mentions and new messages in 1:1 chats.
- HipChat offers numerous personalization options (brightness, font size, file preview: yes or no?)
- Via secured guest access, HipChat allows the inclusion of external persons (customers, partners, etc.)
- You can integrate HipChat into websites in just a few minutes and consequently offer users direct contact via chats.
- Employees like and need group chats and instant messaging. Without HipChat you will juggle unstructured diverse (problematic) alternatives.
- HipChat avoids data protection nightmares, which arise when teams use WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, …
- Messaging = Messaging? If you look closer, you will quickly notice conceptional and functional differences that set HipChat apart from the rest.
- HipChat’s Enterprise Readiness is very high.
- HipChat can be run in your own infrastructure, behind a firewall.
- Data on HipChat servers is secure.
- Big companies want to own and control their data – people can continue to talk about the cloud. HipChat makes this possible.
- With HipChat you can roll out a group chat tool, which meets all compliance policies, instead of working with uncontrollable SaaS tools.
- HipChat can be added to existing user directories, without any problems.
- Thanks to HipChat, chat users and authorizations can be managed systematically.
- HipChat servers allow you to store and export all data: Admins can export chat histories, as well as attachments.
- Simple deployment: The HipChat server is virtual, and supports VMWare and Amazon Web Services.
- With just one click, the HipChat server is able to update itself and install all newly released features.
- HipChat is easy to implement. Employees are rarely sceptical and seldom resist.
- Activation of employees during rollout is mostly unproblematic.
- Evaluation of HipChat is simple. An online instance is ready in seconds. There are no arguments against a test.
- Anxiety to touch HipChat doesn’t exist in corporations. Every user knows chats and IM from personal usage.
- HipChat is a tool your employees enjoy using.
- HipChat’s basic version is free to use, even for professional use in corporations.
- The costs of HipChat Plus and HipChat Server are transparent and moderate, compared with competing tools.
- HipChat is scalable and remains efficient and stable even with thousands of users.
- HipChat is cool and gets cooler by the day: Further development of the software happens non-stop.
- HipChat increases efficiency in team telecommunications.
- HipChat means central collaboration in real time.
- HipChat helps to avoid annoying all members of a team when someone only needs to get in touch with one person.
- HipChat isn’t just a tool for collaboration, but also a digital grapevine that supports a company’s informal structure.
- HipChat sets an important foundation for higher productivity.
- With HipChat, employees are always connected – within the team and across teams, as well as with other important applications.
- HipChat allows people to connect in real time, across different locations and countries.
- HipChat is a positive makeover for the organizational part of a corporation.
- HipChat has the potential to become a sustainable organisational system for internal communication.
Let’s stop here. If you have read until this point, you hopefully have a desire to take a closer look at HipChat with your team. As mentioned, this is very simple. A web instance is quickly created at HipChat.com. And I can’t think of anything, that would speak against giving this cool, extremely useful tool a go.
Are you already successfully using HipChat and have a suggestion for argument #100? Just let us know!
We are your HipChat partner
Do you have a questions regarding Atlassian’s HipChat? Would you like to test HipChat as a cloud- or server-version or license it immediately? Do you need help integrating it into your system environment? //SEIBERT/MEDIA is one of the biggest Atlassian Platinum Experts worldwide. We are happy to support you in all aspects concerning the implementation and productive usage of HipChat: advice, licensing, integration, support. Just get in touch!
Comparison of HipChat, Slack, Jabber, XMPP, Lync, Skype for Business, Whatsapp and other group chat solutions
HipChat in Large Enterprise: Tips and Tricks, Pitfalls and Threats, Project Elements
HipChat Server 1.0 released – Real Time Communication for Teams. Securely behind the Firewall