In this post, I want to give you some insights into what we have been working on around Confluence and our social intranet suite Linchpin: What new versions and products are starting development? What new features will be delivered for our various add-ons soon? What is being optimized and improved? You can read all this and more, below.
(Please note that this update was written in the middle of iterative development and may not yet apply to a finished product or release.)
Do you have questions, feedback or other comments? We would be delighted to hear from you: Please leave us a comment or talk to us live using the chat bubble at the bottom right. 🙂
It’s not a problem to see additional information like contacts, categories and descriptions with the App Center for Confluence. With the next release, you can add your own additional information by using the custom field:
- Enable the custom field in the configuration.
- Enter a title for the custom field.
- Enter your custom text in the app description.
The CONJIRA add-on lets you create JIRA issues directly in your Confluence instance and displays the issue information clearly and attractively:
- Select some text within a Confluence page.
- From the inline menu, choose “Create issue from text”.
- Your selected text is automatically used as the name of the issue.
- Fill in the rest of the issue’s information and save the issue.
Next scheduled development step: The JIRA issue appears directly after the selected text on the page.
Custom User Profile – Internationalization and improved contacts
Internationalizing and customizing the Confluence interface is important. We are therefore working on an add-on that allows you to define your own language packages for Confluence:
- Enter the original term.
- Choose the language you want to translate to.
- For each language, define the translation of your term.
At the moment, the language packages are limited to the Custom User Profile app. In the future, all other add-ons, such as the Confluence language package will be supported.
In Confluence instances that have many users, large intranets or extranets, the contact list quickly becomes crowded and unclear. In the next version of the Custom User Profile add-on, you can use a grouping function or add notes to make this easier:
- Add a note to each contact.
- Group your contacts with the help of keywords.
By the way – we’ve recently renamed the Custom User Profiles app to be Linchpin User Profiles as it is a core component of our Linchpin social intranet suite.
With Guided Tours, you can interactively guide users through using Confluence. Costly training for employees could be a thing of the past!
- Explain Confluence elements such as buttons, headings, etc. in your own words.
- Order these explanations as you wish.
- Users set out on your prepared tour and can be guided through Confluence.
The concept is at an early initial stage, but already shows promising possibilities for a wide range of applications.
Linchpin Mobile – Now in the Google Playstore
You can access your Confluence-based intranet from anywhere, using your smartphone, with Linchpin Mobile. The development of the first real app for Confluence server has taken a leap forward. It is available for download from the Google Playstore now:
- Become a beta tester and download Linchpin Mobile to your Android smartphone.
- The app only needs 5.24 MB and is installed quickly.
- Test the functionality of the connected demo instance.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us if you want to use your own test instance.
Attractive, customed Confluence interfaces, matching your company’s corporate design, can be implemented with the Linchpin Theme Plugin. Currently, the plugin is divided into a standard and an enterprise version. The enterprise version lets you create individual space layouts. With the upcoming version 2.3, both plugin versions will merge:
- LTP Standard and LTP Enterprise are merged into one single Linchpin Theme Plugin.
- The “new” Linchpin Theme Plugin will include all of the features of the enterprise version.
- Version 2.3 will support the Scroll Translations plugin.
- Several bugs in the sidebar are fixed.
Microblogging – Version 3.0
Microblogging for Confluence is THE tool for fast, transparent and straightforward communication in Confluence. Version 3.0, recently released, includes the following new features:
- Create a personal topic list from all available topics.
- Find posts even faster thanks to the additional search functions by author and period.
- Subscribe only to topics you are really interested in.
- Provide a clearer overview by defining a limited height for microblog posts.
- Choose the order in which you want the topic list to be displayed.
- Move topics to other spaces.
- Before deleting a topic, you decide whether to move the post to a different topic.