With Microblogging for Confluence, you can extend your company’s wiki and collaboration system with a feature set that offers modern, fast, straightforward social media functionality within Confluence – with timelines, comments and likes, topics to subscribe to, unread post indicators, and more. Microblogs let teams rapidly exchange, share and discuss ideas, they are great for internal announcements – the applications of microblogging are diverse. Our development team has just delivered Microblogging for Confluence version 3.1, which delivers a practical Hipchat integration.
The Microblog-Hipchat integration
Are you using both Confluence with the Microblogging add-on and Hipchat? Is Hipchat already connected to your Confluence system? Then new microposts can be displayed in real time in Hipchat. Thanks to a simple shortcut, notifications of microposts in specific spaces are delivered directly to a predefined Hipchat room.
With this, teams can keep even more relevant information in one location – in Hipchat. Employees do not need to go specifically to the individual microblogs, but can easily keep up-to-date with new posts.
To configure this integration:
- Select a Confluence space as the source of the microblog posts.
- Select a Hipchat room where the notifications should be displayed.
- Specify which events should send notifications to Hipchat. If you select the New micropost event, as shown in the screenshot above, Confluence will send a notification to the Hipchat room “MB Test” for each new micropost created in the “TEST” space.
Please note that Hipchat does not allow all HTML attributes. Notifications are exact copies of microposts from Confluence. This may mean, for example, that images and macros are not always included.
Do you need additional help integrating Confluence and Hipchat? Atlassian’s Confluence support channel can help you with that.
Note: Atlassian recently announced their new team communication platform, Stride, which will replace Hipchat Cloud in the medium term. We can not say at the moment whether this integration will work with Stride. We will of course keep you informed. Customers using Hipchat Server or Data Center are not affected by this and can profit permanently from the new integration in this version of Microblogging for Confluence.
Other improvements and bug fixes
- You can now set the time you receive the daily summary of new microposts without needing to take the server’s time zone into account.
- You can leave the Default Topic empty in the Microblog Timeline macro configuration. A user must first select a topic before publishing a post.
- Creation dates are now displayed on edited microposts in the Microblog Timeline, not the date of the last edit.
- The performance of the Microblog Timeline has been improved, and is especially noticeable in large Confluence instances with many spaces.
- A bug when marking search results was fixed.
- A timeout error that occurred when creating micropost drafts was fixed.
Download Microblogging for Confluence now and test it for free
The newest version of Microblogging for Confluence is available on the Atlassian Marketplace and can be downloaded to your Confluence instance. You can test the add-on for 30 days for free, no obligations.
Do you have questions or suggestions regarding this add-on? Would you like some support with licensing or integration into your system? Contact us, we would be happy to help!
Microblogging for Confluence is also part of the Confluence-based social intranet suite Linchpin, developed by //SEIBERT/MEDIA.